Links to more resources below in Tabs:
Click on any of the tabs below to see more of our resources. Then click on the small picture icon to go to that Website.
Tottenville Historical Society
The former Village of Tottenville had no organization or place to care for its records and treasures of the past. Scattered in shoeboxes, attic trunks, scrapbooks and dusty basement library stacks were the isolated repositories that contained clues to the Village's history.
You'll find publications pertaining to many fascinating subjects including - Nature, Wildlife, Architecture, Art, Staten Island History and much more! You can even purchase a membership online.
Located just one block east of Bay Street at 2 Hylan Boulevard is the childhood home of Alice Austen, one of America’s earliest and most accomplished female photographers. Known as Clear Comfort, Alice’s home was built in 1690 as a seaside cottage
The Conference House, built in the 17th Century and located at the southern most tip of New York State in Staten Island, is famous for the Peace Conference held there on September 11, 1776.
Staten Island Historical Society
Historic Richmond Town is New York City’s living history village and museum complex. Visitors can explore the diversity of the American experience, especially that of Staten Island and its neighboring communities, from the colonial period to the present.
Snug Harbor Cultural Center
Snug Harbor Cultural Center, a distinguished Smithsonian Affiliate, is Staten Island's premier destination for culture and entertainment.
Sea View Historic Foundation
Affordable Supportive Senior Housing will include hotel-like services such as three meals daily, weekly laundry and linen service, activities, jitney service to the local malls and will also include cable TV.
The Jacques Marchais Museum of Tibetan Art celebrates its 60th anniversary of the Museum's official opening with the installation of a new exhibition, From Staten Island to Shangri-La:
Preservation League of Staten Island
The Preservation League of Staten Island (PLSI) is the only borough-wide historic preservation organization in New York City. Organized in 1977, the PLSI’s mission is to:
Staten Island History on the Web
Libraries are the memory of humankind, irreplaceable repositories of documents of human thought and action.
Help Find Your Ancestors.
or those of you interested in tracing your family tree, I have listed several web sites that can be helpful. I will be attaching more as times go by.
AmericanTowns offers communities a single online location for everything--and everyone -- needed to navigate daily life in their town. The AmericanTowns site is an indispensable practical tool and the most effective way to bring neighbors together.
Uncovering Staten Island's past through modern metal detecting technology
Friends of Abandoned Cemeteries
FACSI is a 501C3 New York State not for profit, charitable organization founded in 1981 whose mission it is to identify, restore, project and beautify the abandoned, neglected or otherwise forgotten cemeteries and those interred within. We currently maintain approximately 40 acres of cemetery properties as well as an archive of original obscure records dating back 200 years. All donations are tax deductibe.
Read "Staten Island"
by Dr. Thomas W. Matteo
From the moment Giovanni da Verrazzano first spied it in 1524, Staten Island has been recognized as a verdant oasis at the mouth of one of the world's most breathtaking natural harbors. Since that time, Staten Island has evolved from a hunting ground and farming community to one of suburban homes and small businesses.
For your copy of "Staten Island" contact me Dr. Thomas W. Matteo
Staten Island Tours by MTA Bus
Staten Island Conference House: (S78)
Located at 7455 Hylan Boulevard, the southern most part of New York State, is the Billopp Manor House. Built about 1680, the Billopp Manor House is arguably the most significant sight in our early history, not for who lived there but for what happened there. On September 11, 1776, Lord Admiral Howe convened a conference in an attempt to end the Revolutionary War. In attendance was John Adams, Benjamin Franklin and Edward Rutledge. The peace conference failed and the war continued for another five years and since that day, the Billopp house has been referred to as the Conference House. Surrounded by a 267 acre park, miles of trails and a pavilion that offer waterfront views of the estuary make one of the most romantic as well as historic sites on Staten Island.
Alice Austen House (S51,S81)
|Located just one block east of Bay Street at 2 Hylan Boulevard is the childhood home of Alice Austen, one of America’s earliest and most accomplished female photographers. Known as Clear Comfort, Alice’s home was built in 1690 as a seaside cottage on the shores of New York harbor by her grandfather. During her lifetime, Alice took over 8,000 photographs that have been hailed as one of the finest works chronicling turn-of-the century life in America. Her home was saved from demolition in 1975 and has been turned into a museum displaying her life and works as well as those of other artists. The grounds surrounding her home is a park providing a beautiful and serene escape with unforgettable views from the Verrazano Bridge to the New York skyline.
|Sitting on a hill high above the Verrazano Bridge, Ft. Wadsworth stood as a citadel protecting New York harbor for over 200 hundred years. Originally constructed by the Dutch in 1636, the site has breathtaking views of New York Harbor that can only be seen from its ramparts. Its massive gun emplacements deterred the British from attacking New York City during the War of 1812 and the Confederates from attacking during the Civil War. When the fort closed in 1994, it was the longest active military base in the United States. Today is managed by the National Parks Service and is open to the public as part of the Gateway National Recreation Area.
Historic Richmond Town (S74)
New City’s only historic village is located at Historic Richmond Town in the heart of Staten Island. The village is a collection of 28 landmarked buildings dating between 1670 and 1907. The village is at the center on Staten Island life during colonial days when Richmondtown was the county seat from 1710 until 1898. Among the buildings is the Voorlezer’s House (c.1696) the oldest schoolhouse in the United States. Other buildings making up this ‘living museum” include the Third County Courthouse (1837), the Britton Cottage (1670), the Christopher House (1720), the Boehm House (1750), the Treasure House (1700), the Basketmaker’s House (1810) and the only remaining working farm on Staten Island, the Decker Farm (1845). Traditional colonial tasks such as spinning and weaving, carpentry and harness making are carried out by staff dressed in traditional clothing. In September, the village plays host to the Richmond County Fair, an old-fashioned county fair complete with crafts, rides, concerts and games for the whole family. The village is open to the public, with special events taking place throughout the year and is operated by the Staten Island Historical Society.
Garibaldi-Meucci House (S52,S78)
Antonio Meucci, who lost a battle with Alexander Graham Bell for a telephone patent, led a very quite life with his wife on Staten Island during the mid-1800s. That would change when Giuseppe Garibaldi, the Italian revolutionary, lived with them for a few years during the 1850s in their home. Meucci, who invented the telephone so his ill wife could call him for help, offered refuge to Garibaldi, who had fled his native Italy. While living on Staten Island, the two men collaborated on several business ventures including candle making and beer brewing. Garibaldi turned down a commission in the Union Army from President Lincoln and eventually returned to lead his “Red Shirts” in the liberation and unification of Italy. Located at 420 Tompkins Avenue, a few blocks from hectic Bay Street in a quite section of Rose Bank, their home has been preserved by the Sons of Italy and is open to the public as a museum and memorial to both men.
|A fifteen minute ride on the S40 will take you to the Snug Harbor Cultural Center. Located at 100 Richmond Terrace, Snug Harbor was originally created as a retirement home for sailors in 1833. Among its many governors was Thomas Melville, brother of Herman Melville, author of Moby Dick who spent time visiting and living there between 1867 and 1884. When the sailor’s relocated early 1970s, the buildings fell into disrepair until New York City took over ownership of the site in 1976 and began preserving the buildings. Among the buildings saved were five landmarked Greek Revival buildings which is the largest collection of such structures in the United States. Since then, the campus has been transformed into one of the most diverse cultural centers in the entire City. In 1976 the Children’s Museum was established, in 1977 the Staten Island Botanical Garden was created followed by The New York Chinese Scholar’s Garden in 1999. In addition, Snug Harbor is home to the Noble Maritime Collection, the Newhouse Center for Contemporary Art and in 2005, became an affiliate of the Smithsonian Institute.
St. George was the brainchild of Erastus Winman who conceived of a central transportation hub complete with rail and ferry service in 1870. However, George Law owned the last piece of land he needed and only sold it to him after Winman promised to make him a “saint.”
Today St. George is more than Staten Island’s central transportation hub; it is the home of the Staten Island Yankees, the Staten Island Museum, a 9/11 Memorial, the St. George Theater, the future home of the National Lighthouse Museum and some of the most beautiful home on Staten Island. In 1898, it became Staten Island’s County Seat, and civic center when the five boroughs were consolidated into the Greater City of New York.
Located along the Waterfront Esplanade, just a short walk from the Ferry Terminal, is one of the finest memorials to those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. This touching memorial, “Postcards” was the first major 9/11 memorial to be completed within New York City. From afar, they appear to be outstretched wings framing the site where the towers once stood in distant Manhattan.
Richmond County Bank Ballpark
You can catch some of the best baseball in town in addition to the most magnificent views of the New York skyline at the same time. Since 2001, the Staten Island Yankees have made St. George their home at the Richmond County Bank Ballpark. Is located on the Waterfront Esplanade, adjacent to the 9/11 memorial. Such players as Robinson Cano, Chien-Ming Wang and Melky Cabrera have helped them win four New York Penn League championships in the last eight years.
Staten Island Museum
One block north of the Richmond County Bank Ballpark, is the Staten Island Museum. Located at 75 Stuyvesant Place, the Museum exhibits thousands of artifacts celebrating Staten Island’s history, culture and wildlife. Their extensive collection includes pieces ranging from Ancient Egyptian to modern works. Its vast Natural Science Collection includes minerals, a Lenape Indian (original Staten Island settlers) exhibit and hundreds of examples of native animals, flora and insects.
St. George Theater
Two blocks east of the Museum you will fine the finest movie palace and vaudeville venue still in operation on Staten Island. Located at 35 Hyatt Street, the St. George Theater was constructed in 1929 and was restored in 2004. The interior rivals any theater in Manhattan. During its hay day, the theater was host to such luminaries as Kate Smith, Al Jolson, Guy Lombardo, Arthur Godfrey and Jimmy Durante. More recently, such stars as Pat Cooper, Connie Francis and Toney Bennett have thrilled audiences at shows held mostly on weekends.
When you leave the St. George Theater, and turn left you will find Borough Hall at the foot of Hyatt Street. Constructed in 1906, Borough Hall became the seat of government after Staten Island joined the other four boroughs to form Greater City of New York. One of the most recognizable landmarks on Staten Island, Borough Hall is a French Renaissance building with Doric columns, limestone trim and a clock tower that can be seen by everyone approaching its shores. The building’s real treasures, however, lie inside. The main hall is adorned with thirteen magnificent Work Progress Administration (WPA) project murals. These murals are 6 ½ by 13 foot oil-on-canvas masterpieces depicting events that took place throughout Staten Island’s history from Giovanni Verrazzano’s voyage in 1524 to the construction of the Bayone Bridge in 1931. These murals are a must see before you sail back to Manhattan.